Persian is an Indo-European language, and is an official language of Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan. It is also spoken by many people in Pakistan, Uzbekistan,Azerbaijan, immigrants from Central Asia in Russia, and in other neighbouring countries. Persian was also taught as a second language in schools in Pakistan until 2006. In the past, many of these places were parts of the Persian Empire.
Persian has many dialects. The Persian language is officially called Farsi in Iran, Dari and Farsi in Afghanistan, and Tajiki in Tajikistan. The literary language of each of these countries is a little different, but people from each country can understand each other when they have a conversation. It has taken on many French words in Iran, and many Russian words in Tajikstan.
The Persian alphabet used in Iran and Afghanistan is very similar to the Arabic one, but the language is in a different family than Arabic, so their vocabulary and grammar are very different. Since the 1930's, in countries which used to be in the Soviet Union, such as Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, Persian is usually written in variants of the Cyrillic alphabet. In the past, all Persian speakers used the one based on Arabic.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Rosetta Stone[edit | edit source]
- 3 levels available
- Recommended as a beginning tool
- Strongly not recommended to be used as the only tool.
- Covers pronounciation, reading, listening, vocabulary, writing.
- Very poor for grammar.
- Easy to use. Shouldn't take more than an hour to set up and begin using.
- More expensive than it's worth. Thank you based internet!
Pimsleur[edit | edit source]
- 3 levels available with 30 total lessons.
- Recommended as a learning tool.
- Strongly not recomended to be used as the only tool.
- Covers mainly speaking and being able to hold a conversation.
- Easy to use, just open the audio file and repeat.
- Much more expensive than it's worth. Thank you based internet!
- 75 quick lessons
- Starts with the alphabet.
- Includes grammar lessons
- Includes listening and reading drills.
Books and .PDF files[edit | edit source]
News[edit | edit source]
Movies[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
- [Band/singer] (category)
Anime/cartoons (Persian dubs)[edit | edit source]
Many are to be found on Aparat, the Persian YouTube clone.
Brotips:[edit | edit source]
- If you have experience learning this language please share it, it's greatly appreciated.
- Find a native speaker to practice with! Persian speakers are very eager to help new learners.
Other[edit | edit source]
|Dari Pashto Persian|