Cornish (Kernewek, Kernowek) is a Brythonic language, similar to Welsh and Breton, spoken in Cornwall the south west peninsular of the United Kingdom.
Unfortunately the language underwent a severe decline as it was pushed west by English, by the late 18th century it had ceased be a communal language and only spoken amongst farmers, fisherman and miners. The decline of these industries through the 19th century resulted in the practical death of Cornish beyond it use by hobbyists and poets.
The current revival is stated to have began with the publishing of Henry Jenner's book A Handbook of the Cornish Language. In the past few decades the revival has gone from strength to strength with the rise in awareness of preserving Cornish Culture coupled with the distributing power of the internet.
After the 2011 census it is estimated around 600 people use Cornish as their main language and up to a further 5000 has varying skills in the language.
A word on the various orthographies
Shall complete this after further research.
- Maga Kernow - The Cornish Language Partnership.
- An Gernewegva
- Cornish Wikipedia
- Facebook: I pledge to become more fluent in Cornish
- Facebook: Desky Kernowek Diwedhes
- Twitter: Kernowek Tweets
- Radyo an Gernewegva - A weekly podcast with interviews and music in Cornish.
- BBC News in Cornish - A weekly 5 minute briefing of the weeks headlines.
- Cornish Oafs - A comedic introdution into Cornish by two geet lunatics.
- Tamm an Tamm - Series of videos teaching Cornish. (Currently unavailable.)
- Cornish - English Dictionary - PDF Download.
- An Gerlyver Meur
- A Concise Dictionary of Cornish Place Names
- A Handbook of the Cornish Language by Henry Jenner - Free Kindle Book.
- Desky Kernewek: A Complete Guide to Cornish by Nichoas Williams
- Skuel an Tavas: A Cornish Language Course Book by Ray Chubb
- Enys Tresour - Treasure Island
- A-dro dhe'n Bys in Peswar Ugens Dydh - Around the World in Eighty Days
- The Bible in Cornish
- Whedlow ha Drollys a Gernow Goth - Ancient Stories of Cornwall
- Whedlow Kernowek - Stories in Cornish
- Jowal Lethesow - The Lyonesse Stone
- Three Beatrix Potter Books - Free downloads, account needed.